I’ve been gathering my notes on our spending fast last February. If you are thinking of doing one of these, here are a few tips we learned…
First and foremost – AND MOST IMPORTANT…….
1. Stock up on toilet paper!! – You can “make do” with just about anything else in your home but this is one that you simply cannot substitute. Buy more than you think you could possibly need. Then add one more package.
2. I went the last night of January and purchased my fresh foods like spinach, bananas, apples, kiwi, oranges, pears, etc. Spinach and bananas only last about a week (you can also freeze the ripe bananas) but apples, kiwi, oranges can last longer especially if kept in the fridge and pears can last a little longer if you buy them not entirely ripe.
3. Meal plans were a must for us. I wrote out all 4 weeks of menus while looking through my freezer and pantry. If I had frozen hot dogs, I knew I would need to buy a package of buns. A great alternative to bread and buns are tortillas – they last much longer before going “stale” or growing green mold and can be used as buns, taco wraps, peanut butter roll ups or just plain sandwiches. It was important to buy the things I would need to use up the stuff in the fridge / freezer / pantry (i.e. buns for the hot dogs, etc.).
4. We also didn’t go to restaurants or out to eat the whole month either so it was important for us to keep snacks and bottled waters with us at all times. We looked at our calendars and double checked for any events that would call for pot luck meals or any special spending situation (birthday party invites, etc.) that would cause us to spend extra money and took steps to resolve or avoid it being an issue.
5. We didn’t change our habits when it comes to milk. We often drink almond milk which has a shelf life of up to a month. We also buy raw cows’ milk from a local farmer. We drank the cows’ milk the first week, then drank almond the rest of the month.
All in all, we did pretty good. We are going to be doing the same thing again next February. Let me know how yours spending fast goes! Be sure to leave comments and recommendations for the rest of us!
Stay tuned to see how this project goes…..
Click on “Follow This Blog” over to your top left to get a notice when the next blog comes out!
Tammy Lanham is the wife of That Preacher Tommy Lanham, Momma to That cute little artist, Appolonya and that adorable engineer, Dylan. She homeschools them both. In her free time, she….. wait – she has no free time… nevermind….
Thanks for reading!