I found this amazing recipe for Fresh Apple Cake but it was LOADED with oil, fat and sugar equaling over 300 calories per slice. So I made a few adjustments and came up with this 169 calorie treat! It’s absolutely delicious, made with whole grains and no added sugar (some sugar in glaze but not in cake)! Hope you enjoy!
Tammy’s Best Fresh Apple CakeServes 20, 169 calories per serving
1 ½ cups applesauce ½ teaspoon, baking soda
1 ½ cups honey 2 tsp baking powder
3 eggs ½ tsp ground cinnamon
2 cups sifted white flour 1 tsp vanilla
½ cup sifted wheat flour 3 cups sliced apples (boil to soften first)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. Mix oil, honey and eggs in a bowl and beat well.
3. In separate bowl, combine flour, ½ tsp salt, baking soda, baking powder and cinnamon. Gradually add flour mixture to creamed mixture.
4. Add vanilla, fold in apples. Pour into sprayed, floured tube pan.
5. Bake for 1 hour. While cake is still warm, invert into serving plate.
2 tbsp butter, melted
2 tsp milk
1 cup powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla
¼ tsp lemon extract